050209 - 0730
The above time is when I will be running the half-marathon that I am officially registered to run in next year! I'll be running in the Indy Mini Marathon, which takes place in downtown Indianapolis. (It is the largest mini marathon in the country!) The race course passes many well-known parts of Indy, including running around the infamous Motor Speedway track.
For those of you not familiar with the running world, a half marathon is approximately 13 miles. My goal is to run the entire length and not just barely finish - I want to be prepared, as much as I can be. With having 6 months to train, I hope to prepare enough to finish in 2 hours.
So day 1 of training started yesterday and I have 170 days to go. I'm excited to take on a new challenge even though I know it will be tough at times. For instance, last night I ended up running for a half hour in the rain - that's just a sign of things to come. I've been running 5-6 days a week for at least 20 minutes for a while now and I needed a change of pace. Chris will help me with my training plan since he has a lot of past experience with running. (He's ran 17 miles twice before!) I think the longest I've ever ran is 7 miles, but we stopped for a break at the half-way point.
I'll try to post on when I've hit significant points in my training - i.e. when I hit 7 or 10 miles on my long run on the weekend, when I compete in a 5K and 10K race as part of my training, etc. I'm excited yet fearful at the same time of what I'm getting into, but I'm convinced that the more time I have to train, the easier the race will be. Much blood, sweat, and tears to come...most likely and hopefully much more of the second than the others.
2 comments:
Wow, that's amazing! I know you can do it!! The group was just talking the other day and we were wondering about Chris's job. Does he have another rotation coming? Any chance we will ever see you again, lol??
Thanks Amanda!
Chris will have another rotation, but we don't know when or where. He could rotate as soon as next summer, but I know people here don't want to see him leave since he's had many positive effects at this facility.
We are still hoping to come see RCC since we haven't been back to visit Peoria since we moved :( That will probably be after the first of the year or maybe for New Year's if people will be around.
Post a Comment