On Saturday, May 2nd, I got to run in the Indianapolis mini marathon - 13.1 miles. It was such a beautiful day to run and I was excited with my finishing time. I finished in 1:45:24 crushing my original goal of 2 hours. It was just over 8 minute pace and I finished in 3144th place out of 35,000 racers.
The weather was perfect for running - cloudy and in the 50's for most of my race. It had actually gotten in the low 40's the night before, so it was a little chilly when we walked outside at 5:00 in the morning!
I thought the worst part of the race would be the 2 and a half miles around the Indy Speedway track, but I was wrong. (The winner of the mini actually finished while I was in the speedway, so I got to watch him on the jumbo-tron while running! He finished in just over an hour.) The mileage really started to hit me around mile 11, but I trekked on to the finish.
Overall, I was excited to have finished how I did for it being my first mini. I was surprised that I could keep 8 minute pace, but Chris told me before the race that my legs should be able to keep that pace (and he was right). The race was definitely better than my Saturday long runs had been because there were tons of bands playing and people on the sides cheering everyone on! It definitely gave me more to look at while running and keep my mind halfway preoccupied. And I was most excited to have Chris and my sister-in-law Kaitlyn there to watch me run. They stood by until I started, watched me as I finished, and met me afterwards.
Here are some pics from the day...
Stretching and looking way too happy before the race at 7am
Chris and I are now thinking about running another mini together later this year in the fall. We haven't committed to anything yet so we'll see what happens. He has started running 6-7 days a week and I'm now running 3-30 minute runs, 2-40 minute runs, and 1-50 minute run per week.
No comments:
Post a Comment