Wednesday, August 12

A couple new things

I decided to play around with a picture of Maggie from the Lake on Fotoflexer - a free online photo editor.


I'd always thought these types of pictures were neat when I first saw them - a black and white picture with just one thing in the picture that was colored. I'd always wondered how this was done and wanted to have pictures like this too! I recently started experimenting with Fotoflexer, not having done much photo editing in the past besides just very minor edits. I think my favorite of these is the second one since the orange vest is such a big contrast against the rest of the picture. I'm also anxious to try some of the other editing tools with other pictures we've taken.
I am also in the beginning stages of experimenting with mosaics. Quite a few years ago (like when I was in high school!), my sister and I started collecting old, chipped, or inexpensive dishes that we came across at various places in the hopes of making mosaic pieces. We got interested in this after we saw really neat things that some of our family friends had made.
So we came across a box of these dishes while I was helping my parents sort through things to prepare for their move. I decided to take a few of them to experiment with since I have some extra time on my hands. Here are the dishes I have right now. I'm contemplating starting with a picture frame, a trivet or just a small wall hanging. (The small "good morning" juice cup is from my grandparents and we have the matching pitcher in our kitchen. My thought is to do a piece for the kitchen with this cup and the yellow, orange, and green dishes.)

I haven't started chipping the dishes yet, but I hope to start soon. I'll be sure to post what the end result is with this new project!

No comments: